"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Nine Month Checkup

Izabelle had her nine month checkup yesterday. She is actually over nine months but her doctor was on vacation. I was expecting a quick visit because you don't get any shots and nine months, only a toe prick to check for anemia. I didn't bring her car seat in with us which ended up being a big mistake. Her initial checkup was fine. She weighs 19.6 lbs., and is 26 in. long... my little shorty bug. She dropped on the charts in height but she is still just under average for weight. So they gave me this questionnaire to fill out that had to do with lead poisoning. If you answer yes to any of the questions then your baby has to have blood work done to make sure he/she doesn't have lead poisoning. I answered yes to two questions so I had to take Izzy next door to get her blood drawn. Do you know how hard it is to draw blood from a baby? First, she was getting tired and cranky. I didn't have her car seat with me so she was crawling all over the floor playing with people's shoes and fussing while I was trying to fill out all this paperwork. When I took her back, I sat in the chair with her and the nurse explained how I was going to have to hold her. The nurse kept saying how strong Izzy was and that I was really going to have to hold her so she didn't have to stick her twice. I had to tuck one of her arms under me, hold her head against me and then hold her arm straight so she could get the needle in. The whole thing was very traumatic for Izzy, and me....Izzy was screaming and I started tearing up. As soon as the nurse took the needle out Izzy fell asleep on my shoulder. When I got home, I left her in her car seat and she slept for three hours. When she woke up she was super cuddly for the rest of the day. And now she is playing next to me and chatting in her growl voice. It's a new thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates