"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Friday, September 25, 2009

How do you see yourself?

How do we see ourselves on a daily basis? We all know it's important to take time for self reflection, but how often do we take that time. Once a week, month, year? I tend to view self reflection as this whole being away by yourself, mediating, thinking about life and goals, and spending time writing and processing a personal evaluation of myself. While doing that is important, who has time to do that on a weekly basis. Most of us are too busy juggling being everything we need to be for everyone else that anything left at the end of the week is spent running around buying groceries and cleaning the house or picking up dog poop and mowing the jungle. But you don't need hours or even minutes. How about one minute. Look in the mirror for one minute and write down what you see. Then ask your children, or if they can't talk, think about what they would say after looking at you in the mirror. Then ask your husband, parents, or friends what they see when they look at you in the mirror. Sometimes the way we see ourselves isn't how anyone else sees us. It's important to remember how our loved ones see us. We can be way too hard on yourselves. Sometimes you just need to give yourself a break and realize how beautiful and unique you are and how important you are to the people who love you and need you.

What did I see when I looked at myself in the mirror:
frizzy hair and puffy, tired eyes (Just being honest people)
effects of sleep deprivation on my body
bruises from the beast
a blurry view of myself (probably from my migraine)

What did Izzy see when she looked at me in the mirror and what would Noah say if he could talk:
momma (Izzy)
pillow to cuddle with (Noah)
jungle gym (Noah)
"Wow!" (Izzy said that when she looked at me...good? bad? Well, whenever Izzy sees something she thinks is pretty she's says, "Wow!")

What did Kris see when he looked at me in the mirror:
wife
encouragement
affection
hot body (his words, not mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates