"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Thursday, September 03, 2009

You know when you get a song stuck in your head and it just won't go away, no matter how hard you try? Well, when you're constantly surrounded by children, which I have been even before I had my own children, the songs you get stuck in your head tend to be a little more obnoxious to some people than others. Personally, I think "Riding On A Train" from Yo Gabba Gabba is a great song. But to some people, not so much. I was out with Izzy at Sears and she had been singing the song earlier in the day. Suddenly, I broke out in "Chugga Chugga Chugga, Choo Choo" and so on. Izzy started laughing and singing the song with me. One lady looked at me like I was crazy, several others gave me really annoyed looks. Well, excuse me for having fun with my daughter in public. It's not like I have the worst voice in the world. And I wasn't singing in one of my weird voices. Since having children of my own, I am more aware that not everyone likes children, even some parents don't like their own children. I don't understand why. I mean, I know they drool, and can be loud and love to make messes, but we used to be children and for many of us every day is one day closer to having to be fed again, and drooling, making messes and needing to be taken care of. But we all need to be taken care of in some way. It doesn't matter how old we get. Our needs just change as we get older.
I wish our society was more tolerant of each other. We get so annoyed and irritated with one another. I'm just as guilty of this. I feel like our world is really tired right now. We're going on half a lifetime of no sleep and it feels like we're stuck in something we're never going to get out of. I don't mean to get down all of a sudden. I went from talking about singing joyfully with my daughter to thinking about a world full of irritated, tired people. Well, I believe things will get better. I say I believe and I do, but there are days and even weeks when it takes more effort to believe...But even on those days, I just have to look at my children, who are usually being ridiculously cute, ridiculously weird, or even ridiculously naughty, and I feel better. I've already changed the world. I've already made things better. I brought two beautiful creations into this world and that is enough to give me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates