"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Friday, October 30, 2009

Testing The Waters

I thought I would escape it.  One of the most tragic scenes to play out in daycare; that phone call you dread to make...Hi Mrs. Parent.  I'm calling to let you know that your child bit someone today.

Izzy never jumped in, didn't even dip her toe in the waters of biting and the drama and consequences that follows.  I thought maybe it was because she was never in daycare or settings that involved being around other children (Wow, that makes my daughter sound reclusive.)  She played with other children, just not on a daily basis.  Then came Noah, and for the first 14 months of his life it was a bite mark free zone.  In the past few weeks things have changed.  He's always been very affectionate with me.  I love my Momma's boy.  He gives me these kisses that he doesn't give to anyone else.  Well those love kisses started turning into love bites, and let me tell you, there was nothing lovely about them.  He gave me his usually adorable kiss one day and all a sudden I realized his teeth were sinking into my hand.  It wasn't malicious or premeditated.  He wasn't mad or anything.  I think he was just experimenting with what his teeth could do.  Since then he has bitten me a couple of times and tried to bite Grandma Burl once.  He has also had a few close calls with Izzy.  He leans over to her and in slow motion starts opening his mouth towards her arm.  We catch him and he gives us that looks that says he knows exactly what he is doing.

I was once told that if a child bites you bite them back and in many cases, they stop.  But we haven't reached the punisment phase yet, so...We'll see how this plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates