"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Why you shouldn't wait over two years to clean your stove

Case in point: 
I wiped out the bottom of the stove; then set it to clean.  I already had windows up and a fan ready because I knew it would probably get smoky.  The kids were playing in the living room, and I was about to go shut the living room door when Izzy came out to show me something.  I was watching the oven to make sure everything was as should be, and as soon as she came over to where I was standing and looked at the stove, "POOF!"  The bottom of the stove erupted into flames.  For a split second I thought Izzy was a 'firestarter'.  Okay, not really, but you know that movie with Drew Barrymore?  I'm just saying it's possible.  Anyway, I know I have a dramatic flair, but trust me when I say this wasn't just a flicker or a flame.  The inside of my stove was engulfed in flames.  Izzy said, "OH NO, FIRE MOMMA!" and ran into the living room.  My son, who heard Izzy scream, came running out of the living room towards the fire.  He was not too happy when I locked him in the living room.  I turned the stove off, and eventually the flames died down and the only thing left was a rank smell wafting through my house.  I had to wait for the stove to cool long enough to unlock itself and then I proceeded to scrape up everything that had bubbled up on the bottom.  Now…it's cleaning again and so far, no fire.  So we're keeping our fingers crossed.  Oh, and I do have a fire extinguisher just in case you're concerned for the safety and well-being of my children and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates