"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Friday, December 18, 2009

Are you the Mouse or the Snake?

Do you ever feel like a mouse trapped in a cage with a snake?  How about a lamb trapped in pit with a lion?  I have those moments.  Sometimes they last for a day.  Sometimes they last for a week.

I had one of those weeks recently where I felt like my house was a giant trap and everywhere I turned there he was…waiting to pounce on me, throw a toy at me, slap my back, bite me, grab my face, and a lot of other things that sound like I'm in a WWE Smackdown Match.  I have actually hidden from him before.  I'm not joking and I am not embarrassed to admit this. 

The odd thing is that most of the time Noah does the things he does to me because he loves me.  It's the affectionate sometimes painful bond between a mother and son.  He's a very strong and physical boy by nature.  He loves spending every minute with me.  I mean every minute, which sometimes means that he's wrapped around my leg as I'm trying to make dinner, fold laundry, etc.  And sometimes, okay most of the time, I end up hurt.  Speaking of laundry the other day I was trying to get down the stairs with a basket of laundry and latch the gate before Noah reached me.  I was successful in closing the gate but Noah was able to get a toy over the gate before I turned around to go down the stairs.  The toy hit me in the face and I fell backwards all the way to the bottom of the stairs, laundry basket and all.  At least now when I see movies where people fall down a flight of stairs and get up with no serious injuries, I believe it.    



1 comment:

  1. OH MY WORD. You really fell? Down a whole flight of stairs? I am mentally laughing so hard right now at the image, only because I know you are okay...

    ReplyDelete

Template by:
Free Blog Templates