"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

I'm Not Tired

We are starting to experiment in the world of no naps. I'm not talking about the beast. Goodness, that boy runs around so much; if he didn't take a nap I think he would completely shutdown. Wouldn't that be something? Izzie went three days without a nap and she did okay until the end of the third day. One of the days she was out on the town and the other two days she just laid in her bed singing and talking. I would leave her to her, sometimes interesting, renditions of her favorite songs, but she and brother share a room. She woke him up once and it wasn't pretty. As I walked into their nursery I saw, rising from the deep of sleep, the beast. He furrowed his eyebrows and let out an angry cry. The rest of the day was not in our favor. So Izzie and I had a talk about naps and rest time. I told her she still needs to have a quiet time every day. She can sit on Momma's bed and read books and rest. She'll still need a nap every other day or every few days. Right now she's sleeping after a few days without a nap. I may get lynched by every parent who treasures nap time but part of me wishes Izzie and Noah didn't need naps. They're so precious and growing up so fast. I don't want to miss a second of being with them. It's not suffocation. Its love and holding onto every moment I have with them. But like I said, it's a small part of me…a very small part of me. They need their naps, and I need those quiet moments to regroup, come up with a battle plan for the rest of the day, do laundry (I know, I lead an exciting life), drink a cup of tea, or occasionally leave the house to run errands and go to the gym (if Kris is home).



Izzie doing her best to show me that she doesn't need a nap; Noah, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates