"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Saturday, May 01, 2010

We Can Be Best Friends

'We can be best friends, best friends.  You know I love you.  You know I love you.' (Song from Yo Gabba Gabba)  My children love Yo Gabba Gabba, a kind of hip childrens show.  Muno the one-eyed red creature, Foofa the pink flower bubble, Plex the robot, Toodee the blue cat-dragon, and Brobee the green little one teach young ones about music, rhythm, dance, life lessons, and more.  The shows creativity in teaching children about things such as eat your vegetables, don't bite your friends, don't talk to strangers; to name a few, are the reason I let the kids watch it.  One of Izzie's favorite songs from the show is 'Keep trying, keep trying, don't give up, never give up'.  I actually think the creepiest thing about the show is DJ Lance.  It's not his orange jumpsuit or even his giant orange hat.  It's his smile. He smiles too much.  He's just way to happy.  It's unnatural.  But back to the beginning when I mentioned the song about being best friends.  I remember growing up one of my best friends was my kid sister doll.  Does anyone remember Kid Sister or My Buddy?  I know you're dying to hear the song so here's the link, but I'm giving you fair warning, the song may get stuck in your head.  Kid Sister & My Buddy

For some children, a best friend could be their doll, blanket, binky or something else that gives them security and comfort.  Nothing wrong with that.  I think it's completely normal to form an attachment to inanimate objects.  I have a close bond with my stand mixer.  I don't know where I would be without it.  So what if my son's best friend is a toy, dirt devil vacuum.  He loops is arm around the hose and carries it everywhere.  He drags it along behind him like a best friend in tow.  He picks it up and dances with it during dance party time.  Is that so wrong?  Should I be worried that Beast would take Izzie or anyone else down who tried to come between him and his dirt devil? 


And then there's Izzie.  She loves to color.  She loves to color with her colored pencils.  She loves to talk to her colored pencils.  She loves to have her colored pencils talk and interact with each other.  Is it wrong that she tells me her colored pencils are her friends?  I don't think so, but do I think it's a good thing that she's going to be starting preschool soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates