"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Friday, May 28, 2010

What's My Name Again?

I felt weird this week, like I'm off my game or something.  I'm used to going on little sleep, but this week was hard.  I was so tired every day.  I felt like there was a loose connection between my brain and body.  My days are all mixed up.  My son gets a sunburn.  I tried the same recipe twice and both times did not like it.  Izzie didn't want to take a nap almost all week.  She did lay in her bed for at least an hour every day, but never fell asleep.  But then Noah is taking these ridiculously long naps.  Something is off balance in the universe when beast starts taking 4+ hours naps.  I would say it's a fluke but he's on day 5 of a super nap.  I have to wake him up and then it takes at least 10 minutes, if not longer, to get him up.  He mumbles, tosses, turns, and throws the blanket over his head and body.  All of a sudden he will stand up and say, "HI!"  It's literally like someone throws a switch on and he's ready to go.  Usually he's 90% beast and 10% normal, but this week its been the opposite.  He just seems tired all the time.  I know his allergies are getting worse and I think that has something to do with it.  I'm taking him to the doc next week to get him checked out, but I want my beast back.

I cleaned the house on Thursday.  It definitely needed a lot of TLC.  I always intend to focus on one room or just get the house vacuumed and dust the next day.  That never happens.  I don't love to clean.  I don't sit around the house thinking about how scrubbing my sink fulfills me.  But I do like to clean.  Sometimes I dread starting because I think of everything I have to do, but once I start cleaning I can't stop.  Yesterday, I dusted, vacuumed, mopped and wiped down the entire house.  I also cleaned some windows that looked like we had an infestation of slugs.  When I was done, I felt good; the satisfied feeling of a clean house.  It doesn't last long.  I'm staring at my window right now and wondering where all these slugs are coming from.  My son couldn't possibly produce that much saliva in one day.  But it still feels good to clean.  It's one of my jobs to keep my house clean and in order.  

One of my favorite quotes is, "Cleaning up with children around is like shoveling during a blizzard."  That pretty much sums up my life.  And when I'm actually able to keep on top of things, I feel like I'm my doing my job well.  I'm just going to say it.  I don't mean to burst any Momma's bubbles out there, but if people tell you that the messes and chaos won't last forever they're just being nice.  Either that or they don't have children.  First they'll tell you that the spit-up on your clothes, mounds of laundry all over the floor, piles of diaper in the bin, dishes in the sink, and who-knows-what in your hair won't last forever.  Then they tell you that the toys you constantly trip over, the slobber all over the windows, the mounds of laundry everywhere, the glitter, finger paint and muddy foot prints on the floor and your son's dried snot on your clothes won't last forever. (One of your many important roles in your son's life includes serving as a snot rag, even if you don't realize it until the end of the day.)  I'm sure some people mean well, whether it's our parents, siblings, friends, or strangers.  Maybe they're trying to ease us in to parenthood.  Maybe it's their joke on us.  Whatever it may be, I absolutely prefer the truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.  Amen.  As my children get older, I fully believe I will enter a different level of messes and chaos.  And I'm okay with that.  I'm not disillusioned.  I'm twenty-nine years old and I still cause messes and chaos.  It's life.

I would like to take one more more moment to share with you the treasure trove that I discovered under my couch while cleaning.  Oh, and for the record, I clean under the couch at least twice a month.    

three hot wheels 
two bracelets
plastic red purse
plastic money 
plastic pink phone
two play wooden cookies
two play wooden spoons  
Izzie's play mirror
enough fruit loops to feed a small army (of ants)
crumbs...lots of crumbs 

P.S.  Melody, this p.s. is for you.  I have a series of posts to share soon that you are going to love.  I know, I'm so mean.  But you have to have something to look forward to, what with leading such a mundane life across the ocean.  *Muah* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates