"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fun in the Sun

I feel like this week went by in a day.  You would think it would go by slow with the heat and being stuck inside, but I'm a rebel.  I let my kids play outside in the blistering heat.  They don't have any blisters, although Noah was sporting a bit of sunburn on his shoulders and neck. (I know, I win a bad momma award)  I was slathering on the sunscreen every thirty minutes and my poor baby boy still turned bright red.  I'm hoping as he gets older he'll take after his daddy and get dark after five minutes in the sun.  Yah, that really does happen.  He has some Native American in him and it so unfair how dark he gets during the summer.  I have learned to embrace my pale skin...wait, fair skin sounds better.  I love my fair skin.  I also love my SPF and UVA protection moisturizer.  Take care of your skin people.  It's important...says the Momma who let her son get a sunburn.  It didn't faze Noah.  Izzie and him had so much fun playing outside.  During the beginning of the week, before I had the pool set up, I filled a big bucket up with water, gave them small buckets and toys and let them have at it.  When the bucket was empty, Izzie would fill it back up.  They played with the water for over two hours.  They also have a playhouse, which Noah loves more than Izzie.  Hmm, Beast loves purple headbands, princess dress up shoes and the playhouse.  But his purple headband is more of a ninja headband, he loves wearing daddy's shoes as much as dress shoes, and the play house is more of a hideout where he plots destruction and plans his attacks.  Don't believe me?  Usually, when he leaves the playhouse he jumps Izzie, destroys something, or tries to get the gate open.  Sometimes he throws his body against the gate.  Sometimes he runs his car into it.  Sometimes he just stands there and beasts at it.  He's determined to escape.  I still have awhile until he's able to scale it...I hope.

So, last weekend I stopped at a few garage sales on my way home from the gym.  I was a bit disappointed in the product I was seeing.  I mean I know the whole point is to get rid of stuff you don't want anymore, but what makes you think I would pay five dollars for your grotesquely stained tank top.  And why would I pay fifteen dollars for a Little Tike basketball hoop when the plastic part of the hoop and hoop is missing.  I'm serious people.  All I wanted to find was some sort of climber with a slide for the babies.  As I was turning down my street I saw a garage sale sign.  I thought what the heck.  It's only a few houses down from mine.  Nothing really jumped out at me.  I told the woman I was looking for outside toys for my kids.  She said there was a Little Tikes climber in her backyard for sale and I could go take a look.  I walked along the side of the house into the backyard, feeling kinda weird about walking into some random person's backyard, and saw exactly what I was looking for.  It was dirty, but in great shape.  It was mine for fifteen bucks.  Izzie and Noah love it.  I also set their pool up.  Our backyard is definitely kid-ready for summer.

Along with the usual hum drum there was lots of playing outside, gardening, evening walks, and cleaning...lots of cleaning.  We also made homemade get well cards for Julie.  Izzie is becoming quite the pro with her safety scissors and glue stick.  That pretty much sums up our week.  I know Mel, you love to read all about this.  So much more exciting than living in South Korea, traveling to places like Hong Kong, and getting to witness things like a traditional South Korean wedding. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates