"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Sunday, September 12, 2010

First Week

Izzie has successfully completed her first week of preschool.  I'm so proud of her.  Because of the holiday she only went two days this week.  She will normally go Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm.  On Wednesday when I went to pick her she was outside playing.  The first thing she said to me when she saw me was, "I don't want to leave yet."  On Friday when I went to pick her up she was eating lunch in her classroom.  The first thing she said to me when she saw me was, "I'm not done with preschool yet."  I can handle this kind of protest.  It's much better than screaming and crying about the torture and horrors of preschool.  

She tried to dodge me Friday, hiding amongst the chaos of twelve preschoolers finishing their lunch.  I pulled out her artwork and finally got her to come over and tell me about her painting and then I said it was time to go...for real.  I told her that last time she didn't say goodbye to her teacher because she was too upset about leaving so she better go say goodbye or she'll be sad about it later.  She slunk over to her teacher, wrapped her arms around her waist and said, "Goodbye Miss Jeanette," in a disappointing-my-momma-is-making-me-leave voice.  

Miss Jeanette said that Izzie is sweet, very outgoing and social.  Oh, and Miss Jeanette is nice as well.  She's warm and friendly and you can tell she loves teaching.  She's been teaching at the school for eleven years and has a daughter, Izabelle, in the same class.    This week they learned about apples and next week is family week so I need to bring some family pictures in for a project they're making.  Kris told me I'm not allowed to bring in the picture of Noah with the pink pull-up on.  I wasn't even thinking about it.   

On the way home Izzie kept insisting she wasn't tired. at. all. but she did manage to take a two hour nap.  After cranky pants got up we went outside for some much needed fresh air.  It was cool but the sun was out and the warmth felt good.  The tree chopper and army of guys with chainsaws, okay, maybe there were like five of them, across the street from us added to the ambiance of a fall like afternoon.  We finally had to go inside because my lungs were closing up and I was breaking out in hives.  It didn't bother the kids though.  They hardly noticed the noise.  Maybe it's because on any given day, Noah can out shout anyone or anything.  

I have a cranky monkey climbing up the side of my chair right now.  "jaf;laskdjgiopqwetuoqwehfdjkvbdjkfhdjksfhdjdjdjdjdjdjdjdjdjdjdjdjfhfhfhfhfhfhfh".  Obviously, Noah had something to get off his chest.  Let me see if I can translate.

"Dear Vampire Tooth, I see you've been hanging out at the top for awhile now and it would be awesome if you would push through and join the rest of my teeth.  Maybe your hesitation has to do with the fact that I eat so much.  I know it's a big responsibility and requires a lot of work on your part but I promise I'll take care of you.  I love brushing each and every tooth.  Oh, and if you're worried about the whole chewing on rocks incident, Mamie is keeping a closer eye on me outside.  I haven't put a rock in my mouth for over a week now."  

Update:  It's Sunday and Noah's vampire tooth is still resisting joining the ranks, but it can only hold off for so long.  We're all very sleepy today.  Noah is cranky and Izzie has no energy.  My sleep deficit has grown so large, I'm having a hard time seeing my pillow from this distance.  Never underestimate the power of smallness.  Whether it be something or someone; smallness can pack a punch.  One tiny, baby incisor is causing Beast so much distress.  It has reduced him to tears, emotional outbursts and pain.  His normal bully behavior towards Izzie has intensified. (His favorite move against Izzie is the push and right now she's practically flying across the room.) His normal strength for independence has caused more than one flying cup. (He wants to twist the tops on his cups by himself but I have to help him do it.  I try to be sneaky and put my hand over his to twist it so he thinks he's doing it all by himself, but right now he doesn't want help at all.)  

He comes up to me and says, "Mamie, Mamie, Mamie, Mamie...." over and over and over again.  He wants me to take away his pain.  I wish I could.  The only thing I can do is love him, and provide him with a steady supply of Icee's and baby crack.  Before you call CPS on me, let me explain.  Baby crack is actually Hyland's Homeopathic Teething Tablets.  They're awesome.  I know so many people, friends and family who swear by them.  I was first introduced to them when I moved to the east side and was a nanny for a little boy and then his sister who was born after I had been with them for awhile.  The mom used these teething tablets that seemed to have some magical abilities.  You put the tablet under the baby's tongue, let it dissolve a bit, and rub it around the painful gums.  The baby suddenly seems calm and not in pain anymore.  I honestly don't remember who said it first but whenever my boss or I would pull out the bottle of tablets the baby girl would start shaking and get so excited; hence why we started calling it baby crack.  Izzie did the same thing and so does Noah.  If fact, when I pull out the bottle for Noah, Izzie still thinks she needs it.  I tell her she has all her teeth, and she'll say, "But, but...my teeth hurt.  I need it."  Sure you do Izzie, sure you do.  But for real, this stuff works and it's made by a great company.  I love all of Hyland's products.

(There's only a handful of people, mostly my family, who read this blog but just in case...This is not a paid advertisement.  Hyland's doesn't know I exist and probably wouldn't be too keen on having one of their products being referred to as baby crack.  Once in awhile, I just like to share with you things I really love.  That is all.)

 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates