"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Kiss

I could have added this in with the previous post but this story deserves to shine all on it's own. I've mentioned before how one of Izzie's friends from preschool is a little boy named Jason. Within the first week, he declared Izzie his best friend and not long after, the feeling became mutual. I can't remember if I mentioned this but one day last week Izzie gave Jason a goodbye kiss on the cheek. As Izzie walked out of the room to retrieve her backpack, Jason peered passed me to make she sure she couldn't see him; then he wiped his face. Apparently, only hugs were acceptable in their friendship, which was fine with me...And obviously it was fine with Kris, who still wasn't so happy about the attention all the boys were giving his sweet, baby girl. (When we asked Izzie to name some of her friends, she rattled off a few boy names. You can imagine how that went over with Kris.)

Today I asked Kris to come with me to pick up Izzie. The babies don't get to see him much right now and I thought it would be a nice surprise for her. When we arrived in her classroom she was just finishing up her lunch and was excited to see her daddy. So here's the story. I want to make sure there's no confusion about what went down. Izzie finished her juice box. I walked with her over to the trash bin where one of the assistant teachers was helping with the clean up. Izzie said goodbye to the teacher and turned to say goodbye to Jason, who was standing right there. They hugged and said goodbye. Then there was a very brief, almost a peck really, kiss on the lips. That was a first. The teacher and I immediately looked at each other and she opened her mouth wide like she was waiting for my reaction. I laughed. She laughed. Then I looked over at Kris. The teacher asked, "Did he see that?" Did He??? I looked again. Yep, he definitely saw that. Of course! The first time Kris comes with me to pick Izzie up, she kisses a boy on. the. lips.

I continued to chuckle as we said goodbye and walked out of the room. Kris said, "Izzie you need to stop kissing boys." For the record, this is the first boy Izzie has ever kissed and like I said, it was more like a peck. As we walked out to the truck I said something about how cute it was and Kris said, "He's lucky he's only four." I said he might be three and to remember that his daughter was also three, not thirteen. Then Kris told Noah, who was in the room when it happened, that it was job to protect his sister and keep stuff like that from happening. Does anyone else ever talk to their children like adults? I mean, we don't treat them like adults or expect them to act like adults, but kids are way smarter than people give them credit for and I'm a continuously surprised by how much they get.

So that's what happened. Nothing more. Nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates