"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Library Card

Izzie: My butt itches.
Momma: What do you want me to do about it?
Izzie:  You need to itch it for me.
Momma:  Can you itch it yourself?
Izzie:  No, you need to itch my butt for me.

The duties of being a Momma.  Why do I get a feeling in another 40+ years I'll be asking someone to itch my butt for me.

On Monday the kids and I walked to the library.  Well I walked and they rode in comfort in the double jogger stroller.  The library is about a mile from our house and I needed to get a library card.  I know, I know.  I've lived here for how long and I don't have a library card.  But before you tell me the importance of books and the wealth that libraries hold and such, let me just say that I love to read.  I used to read all the time.  I grew up on Nancy Drew, The Babysitters Club, all the classics, The Chronicles of Narnia, to name a few.  When I moved here I started working really long hours.  Then came pregnancies and babies and with that, any precious time to myself was devoted to cleaning spit up out of my hair or salvaging my mess of a house.  I've been wanting to get a library card for some time, mainly for Izzie, but there's Noah.  I can't exactly leave him home by himself.  I decided Monday was the day so off we went to the library.  It didn't take long to get a card but it seemed like an eternity with my squirming, squealing beast who didn't like the fact that we had stopped moving.  I took the kids back to the kids area and Izzie was so excited.  I let Noah get out for a minute.  Bad idea...He started running through the library screaming and pulling books off shelves.  Izzie was sitting quietly picking out the books she wanted to read.  I realized this was not going to work.  I strapped Noah back in the stroller and he immediately started screaming and crying.  Izzie had just sat down at a table and cracked open her first book.  I told her it was time to go and we could take the books home to read.  You could tell she was disappointed.  I told her that I would bring her back, just Momma and Izzie, and we could sit down on the couches and read.  She smiled and said, "Okay!"

They do have toddler time once a week where they read a story, etc.  But I just don't think Noah is the sitting down-listening to a story kind of kid.  When Izzie starts preschool in the fall I want to find something fun and active that Noah and I can do together, like a gymboree or something.  Anyway, it was a perfect week to get library books for Izzie because so far, this week has been sticky-humid-hot-stormy so yesterday and today have been spent mostly indoors.  Once it cools down in the evening I take the kids outside to play in their pool which they love.  If you haven't checked out their youtube channel: izzieandthebeast, you need to...so adorable and fun.  

Happy Tuesday

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates