"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I'm about to go Lysol all up in this place...

*I thought I would be nice and cross out anything that might gross out any weak stomachs.  There are only a couple of lines toward the middle of the post*

Another day of cold.  Another day of no school.  I took the kids with me to the orthodontist today.  It wasn't so bad.  Actually, they did great.  And my appointment ended up being short so they didn't have to entertain themselves too long.  Although I think watching me hold plastic spoon like objects in my mouth while the assistant took pictures of my teeth was plenty entertaining.  Izzie kept asking, "Momma, you still doing all good?" 

On the way home, I peeked back to see how my babies were doing.  Noah had taken off his winter hat and was happily eating his Aunt Annie's chocolate bunny cookies.  Izzie was huddled up in a little ball.  I asked her if she was cold, and she said yes.  "I don't like the cold at all."  I totally get that.  I'm not a huge fan of the cold either.  Izzie had on a layer shirt, hoodie, winter coat, hat, gloves and was all wrapped up with a scarf.  I could only see a little part of her face.  Considering the heat in our truck is basically not working, her Eskimo look was working for her.  Except that she was still cold.  Noah, on the other hand, radiates body heat.  He's like a seal or wait, is that a walrus?

Izzie ended up falling asleep in the truck which was weird because it wasn't even noon.  We got home and she did not feel well.  Her tummy hurt and all a sudden she spiked a fever.  She threw up and immediately asked for lunch.  She was really excited about her macaroni and cheese.  We decided it would be best to hold off on the pasta.  All she wanted was either Momma or Daddy to hold her.  She took a short nap, and woke up still feverish and with a tummy ache.  She laid in our bed wrapped up in my fluffy, pink robe.  She would say, "I'm going to rest my eyes for a little bit."  Then she would say, "I'm done resting my eyes" and get up.  After standing for a moment she would start crying and say, "I'm not done resting my eyes."  This happened a couple of times until Izzie realized she just did not feel well.  She got sick a couple more times but it was more like hawking up phlegmy snotty mucus.  She laid with me for awhile then daddy took over while I picked up some groceries.  She laid with daddy and watched a movie.  Ooh, ooh, guess which one, guess which one.  Give up?  Okay, I'll tell you.  She watched Cars.  Noah was also up, but he was fine.  His pink eye is looking good and he has no problem getting all that snot to come out of his nose.  He's still not feeling 100% but he did manage to run through the house marching like band.  He also scarfed down two bowls of pasta for lunch, a bologna and cheese sandwich with applesauce for dinner and three pieces of toast for his evening snack.  Oh, and of course, he had a lumberjack breakfast with a few snacks in between the rest of his meals.

I got home just in time for Kris to leave and Izzie seemed to be doing better.  She had some ice water, her favorite drink, and kept it down.  She had something to eat and kept it down.  She played with the nativity scene Grandma and Bepa brought her.  I gave her something for her fever and she kept it down.  She had a nice bath with Noah and happily sang away.  I had her wait in the rocking chair while Noah and I picked up toys, then we did our usual bedtime routine.  After we finished our stories you could tell Izzie was tired.  She curled up on me while Noah and I sang.  She fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow.

The throwing up did not bother me.  We're used to dealing with that.  What bothered me was the fever that came out of nowhere accompanied by a distraught Izzie.  I'm hoping that this was a freak incident that is over and will not be repeated in the near future.

In other news, Dakota learned a hard lesson this morning about what can happen when you try to fly up steps covered in ice.  He does love to play outside in the snow but not when it's below zero outside.  He flies out, does his business, and flies back in.  This morning on his way in he totally wiped out and once he got inside wouldn't put his back leg down.  Great.  I had him lay down and roll over so I could inspect his leg.  It looked fine and he didn't whimper or anything when I moved it.  He did limp on it for a few minutes, but then he was fine.  This is the thing about Dakota.  Sometimes he pays attention and wises up.  Sometimes he doesn't.  I watched him go out again later to see what he would do.  On his way back in he approached the steps with caution.  Good job Dakota.  Let's see if he remembers to take it easy tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment