"Raising a kid is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
~Ed Asner

Thursday, January 13, 2011

It's time for more 'Musings of Izzie'

Here are some more phrases and did she really just say that from Izzie.  These are from late fall into winter.  

Kris has taught Izzie well when it comes to knowing what football team we cheer for.  I say we, when really I mean Kris.  I like Michigan.  I cheer for Michigan.  When it comes down to it, I want them to win.  But I'm okay if they don't.  I don't let it ruin my mood or day or week.  It doesn't consume me.  It's just a game.  It's a game that Izzie and Noah love watching.  They shout things like, "YES!" and "GO BLUE!"  During one game Izzie was standing in the middle of the living room with her hands on her hip.  Michigan made a play that upset Kris and in turn upset Izzie.  She took her hands off her hips for a second, put her hands up in exasperation, and said, "Michigan, you got to be kidding me!"  
   
Izzie isn't a huge fan of the dark.  It took her some time adjust to the sun setting earlier.  One time when we were getting ready to go somewhere, I had us all strapped in the truck and was ready to leave.  Izzie said, "It's dark outside.  Momma, do you have your lights on?"  Since then, she always asks if I have my lights on.  When the weather is bad and people are flying around us or showing their complete inability to operate a motor vehicle, she'll tell me that we're driving slow or safe so we don't get into a car accident.   

We were in the check out lane at Meijer.  There was a mom behind us with an adorable baby girl sitting in the front of the cart.  Izzie turned to me and asked, "Why does that baby have her hair cut?"  I replied, "Izzie, she didn't get her hair cut.  You've had almost four years to grow your hair this long.  She's just getting started."

Another odd conversation with Izzie at Meijer.  We were strolling down one of the aisles when another mom strolled by with her baby, who was all tucked into her car seat in the front of the shopping cart.

Our conversation went like this:

Izzie
"Momma, I want you to have one of those."
Momma
"You want me to have one of what?"
Izzie
"I want you to have a baby."
Momma
"You want me to have a baby?!"
Izzie
"Yes.  I want you to have a baby like that...a girl baby...You know, like I'm a girl."
Momma
"Okay, Izzie I'll put an order in right away."
 
We all know what Izzie's favorite color is and she finds way to show us time and again.

Izzie
"Why is the sky blue?"
Momma
"Because God made it blue."
Izzie
"Oh, I like pink.  I wish the sky was pink."

Grandma and Bepa have a snowman blow up family in their front yard during the holidays.  There is Mr. Snow, and Mrs. Snow, who is holding their little snow baby.  One night we were outside looking at them before we headed home.  It was freezing and I told Izzie it was time to get in the truck.

Izzie
"But the snowman family can stay outside."
 Momma
"The snowman family can stay outside because their made of snow."
Izzie
"But we're not made of snow."
Momma
"What are we made of?"
Izzie
"SKIN!"

My sweet baby Noah has eczema.  He goes through ups and downs with it.  He gets it on his legs, arms and sometimes on his neck.  Izzie notices when he's having a bad flare up and she'll say something like, "Noah needs special cream because his legs are bumpy.  My legs aren't bumpy.  I'm sorry Noah.  Does it hurt?"

Izzie has been wanting another pet for some time.  We all know that Dakota has a very sweet personality.  Sometimes he's a bit sensitive, but that's okay.  I love him, just as he is.  Even Izzie knows that he has a delicate disposition.   

"I don't know what kind of pet I want.  We need to get a nice doggie that's not going to bark at Dakota and be mean to him."

Izzie let everyone know that she wanted a purple unicorn pillow pet long before Christmas.  For the most part she was patient.  She did, however, on a couple of occasions, try to use her powers to get her pillow pet before Christmas.  We were at Best Buy waiting in the checkout lane.  The checkout waiting area was lined with pillow pets and at the end of the line there was a giant stack of them.  Yah, at Best Buy.  I guess these pillow pets were more hot than we knew.  So Noah was starting to melt down and Izzie was looking longingly at the pillow pets.  She said, "I really want a purple unicorn pillow pet."  I replied, "Well, it's on your wish list.  You'll have to wait until Christmas to find out if someone bought it for you."  She paused for a second then said, "But Momma, didn't you know?  Christmas is today."  The cashier, who was already trying to hurry things along for the sake of Noah, started chuckling.  I looked at Izzie and said, "Nice try."  She replied with an exasperated sigh.

I try not to post too many stories having to do with the bathroom, but the whole #2 thing has been such a big challenge in Izzie's life.  I'm actually not sure if I ever wrote a post about the second most traumatic experience in her life, her first being the hospital stay last year.  The second trauma happened about a month ago.  She already had a hard time going #2 but then she got sick and couldn't keep anything down.  Once she felt better and started eating she developed an impacted bowel.  It's about as much fun as it sounds.  I ended up having to give her a pediatric enema.  She cried.  I cried.  But it worked, kind of.  She had one movement, but then nothing for more than 24 hrs.  I tried a more gentle approach.  I gave her pediatric chewable tablets that would work more gently over time.  She was on the tablets for a week and that did the trick.  I won't go into detail, but there was major success in the bathroom.  We made a huge deal out of it every time she went.  She was so proud of herself.  She would say, "Are you so proud of me?  Now I don't have to go to the doctor again."  As time went on she would say, "I'm getting good at this."

I saved the best one for last.  This is a more recent conversation, right around Christmas, I believe.  I was in the kitchen and Izzie came up to me rocking one of her baby dolls in her purple baby swing.

Izzie (She spoke in a hushed voice the whole time.)
"Momma, look at my baby."
Momma
"She's cute."
Izzie
"Momma, she's not born yet."
Momma
"Oh, really?"
Izzie
"She's in my tummy."
Momma
"Wow, why don't you go to tell daddy."
Izzie
"No, he might get upset."

That's all for now...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates